TTU Libraries Remote Access 3D Lab
The "Remote Access 3D Lab" provides "remote" access to all of the programs that are in the 3D Animation Lab (Library, 2nd Floor-East) on any device, from anywhere in the world, at any time, with any eRaider ID. This is based on Citrix’s XenDesktop HDX desktop virtualization, but in this case, these are remote desktops rather than virtual desktops. We have 20 Dell R5400 computers in the TOSM Data Center that have the 3D Lab software installed and allow 20 concurrent users to be logged in, one user per physical R5400. These computers are running the software under Windows 7/64.
This service is still relatively experimental and there are several caveats to keep in mind:
- If you experience any problems installing or using the software, go to TTU IT Help Central or call IT Help Central at 742-HELP. IT Help Central will attempt to resolve simple Citrix Receiver installation configuration issues. If they are unable to remedy your problem, they will forward the problem to the TTU Library Technology Support group. Since this service is cutting edge technology, there may be some problems for which we currently have no solution.
- Most of the software will work perfectly, but there may be elements that do not work perfectly. In general, since software functionality and compatibility with Citrix is beyond our ability to control, software functional is not guaranteed and we do not support this aspect of the service. Take this into consideration before you begin using this resource.
- Some devices may not be as easy to use. For example, the software works best on Windows devices. It can be tricky to control the cursor on iOS devices, but they do work.
- Make sure you understand how to retrieve your data files before you create very large ones. It would be a shame to lose your work. Once logged off, the content on the remote computers is gone.
- This software is for individual use only. It is not to be used in classrooms or labs.
- This software can only be used for educational purposes per our educational license agreements.
- Please be considerate and "logoff" (don't "disconnect") when you are finished working so that others can use the resources. We reserve the right to disconnect a lengthy or abandoned session.
- Adobe Creative Suite is now included in the R3DLab software offering, based on the IT Division’s Adobe Creative Cloud campus agreement.
- Only certain monitor resolutions are supported. See below.
- Contact us if you would like to leave a comment about this system.
In order to use our Remote Access 3D Lab services, you must first check a few things:
1. Multiple monitors are experimentally supported at this time.
2. You must be running one of the supported screen resolutions to the right. Check your screen resolution.
- 1024 x 768p at 60Hz
- 1024 x 768p at 70Hz
- 1024 x 768p at 75Hz
- 1152 x 864p at 75Hz
- 1152 x 870p at 75Hz
- 1280 x 1024p at 60Hz
- 1280 x 1024p at 75Hz
- 1280 x 960p at 60Hz
- 1400 x 1050p at 60Hz
- 1440 x 900p at 60Hz
- 1600 x 1200p at 60Hz
- 1680 x 1050p at 60Hz
- 1920 x 1080p at 60Hz
- 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz
- 640 x 480p at 60Hz
- 640 x 480p at 67Hz
- 640 x 480p at 72Hz
- 640 x 480p at 75Hz
- 720 x 400p at 70Hz
- 800 x 600p at 56Hz
- 800 x 600p at 60Hz
- 800 x 600p at 72Hz
- 800 x 600p at 75Hz
- 832 x 624p at 75Hz
Here are some answers to Frequently Asked Questions:
- Why is data upload to the Remote 3D Lab so slow?
Off campus usage of 3D programs may result in data upload issues due to large file sizes. This is completely dependent on your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and performance is directly related to the speed of the service purchased from the ISP.
Due to this issue, uploading large custom textures to the 3D programs may not be possible.
- Why do I receive error 1030 when I attempt to connect to the Remote 3D Lab?
Error 1030 is a generic connectivity error which could be caused by many different things on either end of the connection. If you receive this error, please try connecting again. Several connection attempts may be required.
- What are the minimum system requirements?
- Operating System:
- Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit editions (including Embedded Edition)
- Windows 8, 32-bit and 64-bit editions
- Windows XP Professional, 32-bit and 64-bit editions
- Windows XP Embedded
- Windows Vista, 32-bit and 64-bit editions
- Windows Thin PC
- Windows Server 2008 R1, 32-bit and 64-bit editions (not supported by XenDesktop connections)
- Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit edition (not supported by XenDesktop connections)
- Windows Server 2003, 32-bit and 64-bit editions
- VGA or SVGA video adapter with color monitor
- Windows-compatible sound card for sound support (optional)
- For network connections to the server farm, a network interface card (NIC) and the appropriate network transport software
- Operating System:
- Mac OS X:
Mac OSX 10.5, 32-bit and 64-bit (Intel only)
Mac OSX 10.6, 32-bit and 64-bit
All iOS versions and hardware are supported.
All Android versions and hardware are supported.
Not supported at this time.
- Is there a user limit on software and hardware?
Yes, the system is limited to twenty simultaneous connections.
- Will users be aware when waiting on software or hardware?
Yes, there is an error message that states the system is unavailable at this time.
- What is the recommended internet speed?
Almost any internet connection will allow for the running of the remote applications.